.

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Wendy Came Into My Life - 1258 Words

Wendy Lankford was raised within a â€Å"traditional† family and grew up alongside her mother, father, and younger brother in my home state of Maryland. Today, she is married to Shane Lankford and together they care for three adopted sons; ages 22, 7, and 4. Wendy is a stay at home mom and home schooler who is also actively engaged with her church community and several service groups. Both she and her husband have dedicated themselves to raising awareness and working on behalf of orphans, those with special needs, and those living in poverty. Wendy came into my life in early 2014. That year, my brother, Ryan, faced an uncertain future as his approaching twenty-first birthday would mark the day he was to â€Å"age out† of the foster care system and lose the assistance from social services that he relied on. He was unprepared for this transition and since our parents had passed away, no other family members offered support, and I was not in a position to provide for him at that time, we had to scramble to piece-meal together a replacement support system and housing for him. We reached out to everyone we knew and by luck, grace, or fate, an old friend of the family suggested that Ryan meet and speak with the Lankford family about temporarily staying with them. Within a few months after that initial conversation, the Lankford s had opened their home and their hearts to my brother and welcomed him into their family through an informal adoption. As the Lankford’s learned fromShow MoreRelatedFamily Interview : Wendy Lankford944 Words   |  4 PagesFamily Interview Wendy Lankford was raised within a â€Å"traditional† family and grew up alongside her mother, father, and younger brother in my home state of Maryland. Today, she is married to Shane Lankford and together they care for three adopted sons; ages 22, 7, and 4. Wendy is a stay at home mom who is also actively engaged in her church community and with several nonprofit service groups. Both she and her husband have dedicated themselves to raising awareness and working on behalf of orphans,Read MoreThe Theme of Ancestry in Alexies Poem What the Orphan Inherits and Roses Poem Genealogical Research1077 Words   |  5 PagesYou are the continuation of each of these people† (Hanh). The defining of a person begins first from their ancestry. The importance of family is vital in every person’s life and the reason for this is because families are the group structure the mostly in every cases tries to be and do the best for each other. Sherman Alexie and Wendy Rose are both poet s that have expressed the characteristics of their ancestry and culture in their inspirational and touching poems. Many of them are involved with theRead MoreDescriptive Essay About Danger Island1266 Words   |  6 PagesDanger Island It was a beautiful sunny day where me and my crew decided to go hiking in a remote island. We didn t know how to get there until we saw an old fisherman staring at us and we asked him if he could drop us off on the island. He agreed with a creepy smile. We were dropped off on the island known as CNSL-116. This island was never explored and for that reason it only had a test name. We had finally arrived at the location it was a mysterious, tropical and humid island. Our crew settledRead MoreLanguage, And How We Choose To Use Language To Communicate1275 Words   |  6 Pagesby putting oneself in the shoes of a person visiting/ living in America from another country with a limited common language. I came to this realization by mistake. By making friends with people from different parts of the world I gained a better perspective on how language affected the people I talked to. When taking the time to interview two of my closest friends, Wendy, who is an 18-year-old, Hispanic foreign exc hange student from Mexico, along with Haotian, a 17-year-old, foreign exchange studentRead MoreThe Next Chapter of Peter Pan, My Darling Pan Essay1235 Words   |  5 Pagesstars. Once we started to slow down I noticed a small orange planet glowing in the distance. Surrounding it was a ring of gold dust of what I can only suspect to be fairydust. This must be Neverland. I have never seen such a beautiful thing in all my life. Now most of what I told James Barrie about Pirates and Indians, Mermaids and Fairies, Lost Boys and crocodiles was all true. What I didn’t tell James however was that the pirates were jolly fellows that loved a good laugh, that the Mermaids toldRead MoreInterview Essay1237 Words   |  5 PagesObstacle vs. Opportunity During the course of her interview on The Wendy Williams Show, with Wendy Williams, Lolo Jones explains how she uses her past failures as motivation to achieve her dreams. Through everything she has been through, Lolo never quit. She never took the easy way out and always kept her eye on her dream. Her story is â€Å"not complete.† (qtd. in Rashaad Jorden) and in this interview it is clear that she is continuing to focus on the opportunities in front of her. Lolo JonesRead MoreAnalysis Of Wendy Lee s Peeling Bananas 1373 Words   |  6 Pagesthat their answers tell more about them. My answer for the question â€Å"where are you from?† is always Vietnam, my home country. For every Vietnamese like me, home is an important and meaningful part of our life. It becomes a vital part in our culture. The more I live far away from my house, the more I know how it is important to me. Moreover, I acknowledge that not only our homes define who we are but we also define our ho mes. In the essay â€Å"Peeling bananas†, Wendy Lee uses reflection to support her argumentRead More Lessons Learned from A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings Essay1261 Words   |  6 Pagesstory very much. I was able to get very interested. Marquez starts it out with On the third day of rain. That line right there is magical because angels are of God, and on the third day Gods son rose from the grave. It was the third day that Pelayo came upon this very old man who had appeared to be an angel. It was awful how Pelayo had thrown this angel into the pen with the hens. Only after Pelayo and his wife Elisenda were blessed with their child not being sick anymore did he realize that he hadRead MoreEssay on I Became a Model Cadet890 Words   |  4 Pagesdescribing an event that dramatically affected her life. Her choice of narrating her rise in the ranks of JROTC is unique, interesting, and very appropriate for the assignment. She does a very nice job of using specific details to desc ribe aspects of the experience as well as employing dialog to accent her account. The reader gets a clear sense of the impact this event had on her life. I moved to Slidell in the summer of 1998. It was a start of my tenth grade year at Northshore High SchoolRead MoreThe Basic Learning Skills Will Help Me936 Words   |  4 PagesThe basic learning skills will help me in my future career because they will help me to build a strong rapport with my client. I believe that all of these skills are very important in order to become an effective helping professional, but my personal favorites are open questions and summarizing. It was really interesting for me to see that just by phrasing a question differently that I could get such an extensive and more detailed answer from a client. It is also really cool to see how much clients

No comments:

Post a Comment